12 February 2008

INSTITUTION BUILDING - the system works (Originally written on 21st July 2005).

In the almost sixty years of Political Freedom, many have openly questioned the usefulness of such freedom if the system/administration does not work for the 'free' Indian citizen. Its seems a given, that even the educated and employed often get a strong feeling that they are mere pawns and that the 'powers that be', the 'mai baap' the 'system' does not recognise them as free persons with rights. It’s only the powerful who seem to be able to 'get things done' and 'distribute largesse' to the junta.

Five years into this new 21st century, I confidently disagree and hold forth by example. The 'system' can be made to work .... it works, and we have to be proud of this change in attitude and improved performance.

1. Over one year ago, I had encouraged my son to obtain a 'concessional interest higher-educational bank loan' as was promised on the floor of the then parliament by the then FM. Without my interference or support and without any 'influence' he got the first loan of his young life from a public sector bank and felt proud that the system works. Later, the nationalised bank send him a letter withdrawing the concessional rate saying that the same was not being confirmed by the 'powers that be' and that he would have to pay full interest. Shocked beyond belief, I could sense a feeling of grief and hate for the 'system' in my son. I then suggested that he put up a strong defence for his position and persuaded him to complain to the 'public grievances cell' and follow up the same. After a torturous period of almost a full year, the bank branch manager, phoned my son and confirmed that he would get his concessional rate after all. Again no 'influence' or 'contacts' were used and only proper documentation and presentation of issues was made repetitively to all the concerned authorities. The banks deliver.

2. A few months ago, MTNL-Mumbai advertised the launch of an internet ADSL broadband service. This was the first such service in the whole country and seemed a great relief to the internet-enabled citizens of this city. I booked my request for this service on phone and as expected nothing happed for weeks on end. Finally, I insisted for clear response on the phone and learnt that it was important to make a personal approach to the telephone exchange in my area. Fearing the worst, I visited the exchange and got a pleasant surprise. The person concerned was quick and efficient and I completed a very short application. A few days later, some MTNL foot soldiers showed up at my home and delivered the hardware to start my first ADSL internet connection. They were clueless on how to connect or what to do, but were ever helpful in answering queries by phoning up their own faceless techies on their own mobiles. I was again happy to find that the broadband internet worked so much better and cheaper than my earlier cable internet and that I would billed only in arrears. The public sector works.

3. My son was robbed of his wallet and he lost his driving license and had no clue of its number or details. He went to the local police station and easily registered his 'information report'. He then went to the Andheri RTO and again he was surprised that the staff there sympathised with him and gave him access to their voluminous records to trace his old file. Having failed to find any clue (the records are not yet computerised) he was advised to file for a brand new license by first obtaining a 'learner permit'. He got the same the next day without any hassles or bribes and went for the permanent license after the stipulated duration. He was hassled by touts, but stuck to the ‘straight and narrow path’ and low and behold, he had his permanent license within two hours. Again … no influence, bribes, agents or harassment … just the regular procedure. The system works.

4. As an aggressive and vocal civic activist, I have often had close interactions with the local municipal officers, police officers and their foot soldiers. I even attended 'public hearings' with high officials and presented contentious matters. In the last two years or thereabout, I have repeatedly found that, when proper documentation and presentation of issues was made repetitively to all the concerned authorities, I got substantial cooperation and positive action and results from the system. The system works.

5. Outside my personal experience, being in-charge of management of my housing complex, I have been told that 'registering home purchase documents' is now a simple walk in the park. New members, who went with proper advice and complete documents did not spend even half a day getting this job done, their anxieties were found to be baseless. The system works.

6. Paying of any service/utility bills, getting pension or provident fund, visit to the post office, filing for a passport, obtaining a birth/death certificate are all now standardised procedures and free from harassment or overt corruption. I have done all of above in the recent past and have not had to face humiliation or corruption in any single case mentioned above. The system works.

Each of the above examples is what every citizen faces in his day to day life in the metropolis. I confirm there is a change for the better, a breath of fresh air, a certain feeling of confidence when I interface with the system. I am sure this is not the case with some B, and most C class towns. I am certain that sixty percent of the nation’s citizens would not understand which country I am talking about. But, a big but, forty percent citizens can now breathe easier and feel a new freedom in exercising their rights as citizens of free India. So if we persevere, more and more citizens will believe and achieve. So I say ... the system works, can be made to work ... Vande Maataram.

No comments: